remember to refer to Clay Guide lines
Printable PDF letter tile project
- various textural elements such as leaves, flowers, lace, burlap
- texture tools (“Texture Tools” tub)
- leaf molds (“Fish & Leaf Molds” tub)
- small bowls for water
- sponges (optional, can use fingers)
- Five inch square template
- wooden skewers
- clay mats
- review Clay Guidelines
- roll clay to 1/4 inch thick using clay roller
- using wooden skewer and template cut 5.5 inch squares
- reserve extra clay for raised letter
- Lightly carve name using wooden skewer onto tile back and then turn over.
- Using a wet finger or damp sponge, smooth out edges of tile.
- Rolling pins can be used LIGHTLY to make impressions of leaves and flowers, burlap and lace.
- Instruct students to make a coil with extra clay and shape into form of letter.
- Score tile under where the coil will fit, as well as the bottom of the coil letter.
- Add a small amount of water and wiggle clay letter onto tile until firmly in place.
- Using texture tools to add designs to tile (ie: stamps, circles from end of pens or caps, lines).
- Punch hole in top of tile using straw.
To achieve color only in recessed images:
- Brush on glaze to recessed area and let dry.
- Wipe off glaze using damp sponge, leaving glaze in deep recessed areas.
- Brush clear glaze over the top of these areas.
- Using fine glaze brush, paint stripes with glaze and let dry.
- Brush clear coat over letter and stripes.
For Full Photo Tuturial: http://www.oliveandlove.com/?p=4376