Using a white crayon, I made marks 1.5 inches up from the base of the feathers, and then every 1.5 inches up to create rows of lines to sew feathers.
I sewed the feathers all the way up the front, cutting them around the arm holes and sewing them down where they met the seam. The back is only feathered up the middle where it would show under the wings.
I cut four ear shape triangles from the brown felt, sewed two each together and pulled them right side out.
I sewed them to a piece of black elastic that I measured and sewed to fit my son’s head.
The eyes consist of two copper scrubbies, two yellow buttons and two black buttons. I sewed them directly onto the base of the ears but found he looked like a fish after the elastic stretched around his head. I cut the thread and restitched the eyes closer together and further up the headband to avoid the copper touching his forehead. I added brown marabou boa around the eyes and around the collar of the body.
The nose is nothing to write home about and shows up poorly in photos. It’s simply a carrot shaped piece of black felt, stuffed with scraps and attached between the eyes. Parenting has an owl tutorial (originally I found it in an October 2008 issue) that I combined with another tutorial from Country Living. The nose on Parenting is a finger from a black glove. The cheapest black gloves I could find at Home Depot were five bucks and I wasn’t about to shell out that kinda dough.